Saturday, August 11, 2007

Memories down the lane – Letter writing

Letter writing used to be one of my most enjoyed hobbies during my school days and a few years after I finished schooling. I made a lot of friends locally and worldwide. It was a wonderful feeling of being able to communicate with people from US, Europe, Africa, Australia and Asia. It helped to widen my understanding and appreciation of different cultures, beliefs and religions.

I had many friends who were very close from all around the world, and we shared many personal things among us. I always found it enjoyable to sit and write replies to the letters received, especially during the wee hours of the night. The piles of letters that I used to receive kept me occupied most of the times. I kept most of the letters safely in my locker, until one day heavy flood seeped through the locker and wiped the contents and together with the muddy water all my friends written advises, grudges and grouses and motivations, washed away. Never return. I lost my friends’ addresses along with their phone numbers. It was an era, where computer literacy was not widely available and computer was a luxury.

I still remember, my longest letter was 16 pages to an Australian friend. Till now I couldn’t figure out what I wrote in that letter, but was reminded by my friend that it was the longest ever letter that she had received then. I am no more in touch with almost all the friends I made during those years. As internet became a household name, emails and live chatting have replaced the letter writings. The interest to write letters using pen, typewriter and papers slowly waned and I found internet to be much faster and easiest method to make friends. And, it has substituted the need to get writing pads, typewriter, pens, envelopes and stamps. Furthermore, emails reach the other side of the world in a few seconds compared to snail post, which, despite of the technology available, still takes an average of 2 – 14 days to go intercontinental and it requires a fee.

Though, the past is not here now, my memory still cares to deal with it and as I turn the pages of the past, a lot of beautiful memories began to flood my conscience. I take this opportunity to thank all those beautiful people who kept me going during the turbulent attack of emotional depression, then. Their supports and advises helped me a lot.

Errors under your tender care.
Mistake are mine.
Corrections are yours.

©cyclopseven 2007. All rights reserved.

No comments: